Hongde Lei, Ph.D.
Professor, Higher Education Research
School of Education, Huazhong University of Science and Technology
1037 Luoyu Road, Wuhan, Hubei, China, 430074
Ph.D., Peking University, 2004
M.A., Huazhong University of Science and Technology, 2000
B.A., Hubei Normal University, 1994
Professional positions held
School of Education, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, 2018-present
School of Education, University of Illinois at Urbana and Champaign, 2013-2014
School of Education, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, 2006-2018
School of Education, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, 2004-2006
Student personnel worker
Wuhan Institution of Urban Construction and Management, 1994-1997
Courses taught and other services provided to students and the home institution
* College Teaching and Faculty Development, 2014-present
* Case Studies on Higher Education Administration,2015-present
* History of Educational Administration,2009-present
* History of Chinese and Foreign Higher Education,2009-2014
* Selected Readings in Educational Classics, 2009-2012
* serve as supervisor of master and doctoral students including foreign Ph.D. candidates,
* serve as the director of the Institute of Institutional Research at School of Education, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, 2019-present
* serve as peer reviewer for three academic journals
Selected Publications in Peer Reviewed Journals in Recent Ten Years(2009-2018)
 Lei,H.(2018).The Perseverance of a Scholar:A Critical History of the Intellectual Pursuits of Tu Youguang.Wuhan:Huazhong University of Science and Technology Press.
 Lei,H.(2018).The Success of Seeking Learning Lies in Perseverance:Mr. Tu Youguang’s Learning Experiences and Its Enlightenments.Educational Research,(10),116-120.
 Lei,H., Huang,M.(2018).On the Training of Institutional Research Professionals in American Colleges and Universities.Research in Higher Education of Engineering,(3),92-98.
 Lei,H., Liu,S.(2018).Current Status of and Improvement Approaches for Critical Thinking Disposition of the Postgraduates of Liberal Arts: A Survey at H University,Journal of Graduate Education.(2),48-53,66.
 Lei,H., Yu,Q., Yang,C.(2017).Barriers to Speaking in Class: An Investigation by Interview.Journal of Higher Education,38(12),81-89.
 Lei,H., Huang,M.(2017).Three Strengths and Three Limitations of America’s Institutional Research:Implications for China’s Institutional Research. Research in Higher Education of Engineering,(3),128-130.
 Lei,H.(2016).Problem-Centered Design and Personal Teaching Style: An Exploratory study of Youguang Tu’s Course on Philosophy of Education. Educational Philosophy and Theory,48(12),1244-1255.
 Lei,H.(2016).Organizational Support for Faculty Instructional Development at Colleges and Universities.Journal of Higher Education,37(2),31-36.
 Lei,H., Gao,Q.(2016).Theoretical Roots, Supporting Conditions and Main Paths of Interdisciplinary Undergraduate Education at MIT. China Higher Education Research,(11),76-79.
 Lei, H.(2015).Giving Priority to Students’ Self-Study: An Analysis on the Characteristics of Teaching and Learning in China’s Ancient Universities.Chongqing Higher Education Education Research,4(1),110-114.
 Lei,H.(2014).Big Education in Small Colleges: An Analysis on the Institutional Characteristics of American Liberal Arts Colleges. Journal of Higher Education,35(7),94-102.
 Lei,H.(2013).American Liberal Arts Colleges: Elite Higher Education Institutions in Transformation. Journal of Higher Education,34(10),24-30.
 Lei,H.(2012).Expansion and Structural Change of First-year Engineering Students Enrolled by China’s Colleges and Universities during the Process of Higher Education Massification. Research in Higher Education of Engineering,(2),96-103.
 Lei,H., Ma,C.(2012).Cai Yuan Pei and the Humanities in Peking University. Higher Education Development and Evaluation,28(2),37-42.
 Lei,H.(2011).Three Dimensional Analysis on Undergraduate Program Adjustment in China’s Universities and Colleges during the Massification Period. Journal of Higher Education,32(6),24-30.
 Lei,H.(2011).Academic Research and Status of a Disciplinary Program: A Case Study on the History of a National Key Disciplinary Program. Journal of Graduate Education,(6),19-23.
 Lei,H.(2011).On the Causes and Costs of the Massive Expansion of Undergraduate Literature-related Programs. University Education Science, (3),28-33.
 Lei,H.(2010).On Professor Tu Youguang’s DAO of Great Learning. Journal of Higher Education,31(9),15-21.
Other Professional activities
Selected Research Projects in Recent Ten Years (2009-2018)
* Organizational Support for Faculty Instructional Development at America’s Selective Liberal Arts Colleges. project duration:2017- , as project principal funded by National Office for Education Sciences Planning
* Organizational Support for Faculty Instructional Development: A Case Study at W College, project duration:2015-2017, as project principal funded by Huazhong University of Science and Technology
* Institutional Characteristics of American Liberal Arts Colleges and its Implications, project duration:2014-2016, as project principal funded by Humanities an Social Sciences Foundation of Ministry of Education
* Policy Analysis on the Adjustment of Academic programs at China’s Colleges and Universities since 1999, project duration:2011-2013,as project principal funded by by National Office for Education Sciences Planning
* Adjustment of Academic Programs at Colleges and Universities in Hubei Province since 1999, project duration:2011-2012,as project principal funded by Hubei Provincial Department of Education
* An Exploratory Study of Youguang Tu’s Course on Philosophy of Education, project duration:2011-2016,as project principal funded by Huazhong University of Science and Technology
Workshops and consultations
* Invited as vice-director of Faculty Instructional Development Center at Wenhua Colleges from 2014, annually design or organize more than ten workshops for faculty there
* Invited as consultant to do research on strategic planning for 11 colleges and universities from 2009
Membership and activities in professional associations
Member of the Board of Supervisors
China’s Association for Institutional Research, 2014-2019
Member of the Board of Executive Managers
China’s Association for Institutional Research, 2019-present
Professional honors and awards
The Sixth National Award for Outstanding Teachers in Advising Master of Education in China, 2018
The Annual Award for Outstanding Teachers of Good Virtue at Huazhong University of Science and Technology, 2017
The Fifth National Award for Outstanding Achievements in Educational Science Research in China, third-class award,2016
The Fourteenth Municipal Award for Outstanding Achievement in Social Sciences Research in Wuhan, third-class award, 2015
The Sixth Provincial Award for Outstanding Achievement in Educational Science Research in Hubei, second-class award,2013
Serve in Faculty Representative Committee, Huazhong University of Science and Technology
Serve in Labour Union at School of Education, Huazhong University of Science and Technology